Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Bad Cops In Japan

Anyone who reads Japantoday.com can't help but notice the string of crimes committed BY police officers themselves! I like getting the weird news from Japan Today, but the posters and moderators usually leave me with a bad taste in my mouth. I get the feeling that people are just itching to turn every single incident into proof that this country is headed to hell in a hand basket. I mean, isn't most the world in the same point right now? Anyway... here are a few recent "incidents"

Cop urinates from a JR platform.

Not a cop, but apparently peeing is becoming a problem in Japan. Click here for the "truck driver pee" story.

Cop arrested for filming up high school girl’s skirt in Yokohama

Saitama cop arrested for assaulting girl on street

Cop arrested for breaking into female cop’s apartment in Chiba

And that's just recent news! A simple search turns up these stories:

Chiba police officer arrested for causing accident while driving drunk

Ex-police officer arrested for shoplifting in Chiba

Cop arrested for stealing girl's underwear during investigation

And here are stories on other sites. No need to actually read all the stories, but the headlines themselves should pain a picture.

Crime › Police officer arrested after hitting another officer with motorbike in Saitama

Crime › Police officer, teacher arrested for having sex with 16-year-old girl in Saitama

Drunken Police Officer: “My Car Got Stolen!”

Drunk cop arrested after fleeing scene of car accident in Fukuoka

Is this happening in other countries as well? Of course it is, but I feel like the pettiness of the incidents in Japan just shows you how a comparatively pampered country it is. I'm betting in other countries cops are getting arrested for murder, bribery, and other serious crimes. In Japan it seems to be for incredibly stupid things. Am I right?

Personally (after almost 20 years here) I have never had a real problem with police officers. I've never been stopped or asked to show my ID. I have been frustrated at how slow they are to respond when something happens, but I've never been a direct victim of their conduct or misconduct.

Your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. *shrugs*

    It's a little hilarious (to some extent), but it's really strange that some of the crime incidents are really... well, strange?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bro, I just started reading and watching your vids and posts, and your cool, now to the point. I have a great story about when I worked in Roppongi at gaspanic about 7 years ago, I saw first hand an elderly japanese beat officer break an army brats arm and just walk away. I was bringing in the happy hour flags and there was this american armybrat(i am sure you know the type) that was just being annoying, well the cop had a buddy, and they tried to move the man, but he was jsut being an as, and when he went to swing at the older officer, he twisted him around and held his arm. I heard the bone snap and the guy was just moaning on the floor, his buddies picked him up, and the officers just walked away like it did not happen. Personally I think that was awesome, but where i am going with this is, here in LA we get the same thing but most times people call it a hate crime and the officer gets strung up for it, I just think people forget that officers are human too and make mistakes, or deal with things baddly themself.
    -sanjirosan

    ReplyDelete